Gascoigne drink driving trial adjourned

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A drink-drive case involving former England football star Paul Gascoigne was adjourned for the fourth time today after civilian witnesses were unable to attend court.

The ex-Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur player was due to go on trial at Northallerton Magistrates Court, in North Yorkshire, but the bench had to stand it down again.

Gascoigne, 43, is accused of driving a Ford Transit van while more than four times the limit on February 7 at Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire.

Previous hearings have been told the midfielder was found to have 467 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of urine. The legal limit is 107 milligrams. He denies the charge.

He has also pleaded not guilty to driving without insurance.

Gascoigne turned up at court today along with his co-accused Michael Harvey, 41, of Wood Street, Gateshead.

Harvey has denied driving a Ford Transit van over the legal limit on February 7 at Leeming Bar.

Magistrates have been told he had 259 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of urine. Harvey pleaded guilty last month to being in charge of a motor vehicle while over the limit but he has denied driving without insurance and driving while disqualified.