'Glastonbury University' scam uncovered
From the blogs
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
Cask ale brewers don’t come much bigger than Marston’s. In fact the brewery, which also owns thousan...
Nadine Dorries talks freely about many things, but not whether she was paid to go on I'm a Cleberity...
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
A scam based on a fictitious university which aimed to rip off foreign students has been uncovered by trading standards officers.
Somerset County Council was alerted after a London university reported it had received an application from a student claiming to have a degree from Glastonbury University.
A wide-ranging probe which enlisted the help of, among others, the Florida FBI, discovered a website purporting to be for Glastonbury University and offering a variety of courses in "one of the world's most exciting cities". Authorities linked the scam to a operation based in Malaysia and say its main targets were visitors from the Far East.
The website said all the courses were located in the centre of Glastonbury and used impressive images of the £32m David Wilson Library at Leicester University to advertise it. The investigation revealed the address given on the site for the university is actually an empty office building in the centre of Glastonbury.
The website boasted that the university was a "a leading private and independent university of world standing". Officers from the Metropolitan Police's e-crime unit have now removed the domain name and site – www.glastonbury-edu.org.uk.
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order