Grenade found in litter bin
Bomb disposal experts were called out to a remote village today when a park warden found what he believed to be a hand grenade in a litter bin.
The discovery was made this morning in a park in Linton, Cambridgeshire.
Linton Parish Council clerk Sue Parry said the device was actually a smoke grenade.
"The bomb disposal expert said that it might have belonged to a member of the Territorial Army who took it by accident and wanted to get rid of it," she said.
"The village custodian was doing his usual Monday morning litter pick when he found it.
"He brought it into the office and it said 'grenade hand, smoke purple' on the side.
"He normally brings mobile phones and keys in, which I don't mind looking after - this was a little more unnerving."
A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Police said the bomb team attended the scene at 12.30pm and took the device aw
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your scrolling
- 3 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Jet ‘hijacking’ began soon after take-off
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set