Hackers target crime agency
Friday 04 May 2012
The Serious Organised Crime Agency website was taken offline yesterday after it was targeted by hackers.
The "distributed denial of service" attack, which involves web addresses being hit by a flood of visits they are unable to cope with, was carried out on Wednesday night. Similar attacks in the past have been linked to the "hacktivist" group Anonymous.
The attack came as the Ministry of Defence's head of Cyber-Securiety, General Jonathan Shaw, admitted top secret military systems had been breached. He said some attacks may yet remain to be identified.
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
British man arrested after children found with slit throats in France
World news in pictures
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...