Hacking investigation into ex-NOTW US editor James Desborough dropped

 

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The former News of the World US editor was today told he faces no further action in Scotland Yard's phone-hacking probe.

James Desborough was held in August last year on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications for the now defunct Sunday tabloid.

A Scotland Yard statement said a 39-year-old man "was today released from bail with no further action".

Mr Desborough is the third Operation Weeting suspect to be told he will not be charged since the wide-ranging investigation was launched in January last year.

There have been 46 arrests surrounding inquiries into hacking and corruption under the three-pronged operation, Weeting, Elveden and Tuleta.

Mr Desborough, who won a British Press Award in 2009, was arrested on August 18 by appointment at a south London police station.

He joined the paper as a showbusiness and news reporter in 2005 before being promoted to US editor in 2009.

Mr Desborough had been due to answer bail next month.

PA