Hacking trial: ‘I made a lot of mistakes’ editing The Sun, admits Rebekah Brooks
Thursday 27 February 2014
Rebekah Brooks told the court she had made “lots of mistakes” while editing The Sun, resulting in coverage that was “cruel”, “brutal” and in “bad taste”.
These included: “Bonkers Bruno locked up”. The paper ran this headline in 2003 after boxer Frank Bruno was admitted for psychiatric treatment. Mrs Brooks had approved the wording, but her then partner Ross Kemp “questioned how brutal it was”.
Mrs Brooks then called the newsroom to have it changed and said she had made a “terrible mistake”.
Mrs Brooks also admitted it was cruel to describe Clare Short as “fat and jealous” after the Labour MP campaigned against The Sun’s page 3 photographs of topless women.
She also said that during The Sun’s attacks on the Haringey children’s services chief Sharon Shoesmith after the death of baby Peter Connelly in 2007 “balance went right out the window”.
And Mrs Brooks said it was “in bad taste” to report the death of Harold Shipman with the headline “Ship ship hooray”.
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran