Hacking trial: Police officers 'irritated' Queen by eating nuts left out at Buckingham Palace, court told
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Thursday 12 December 2013
The hacking trial at the Old Bailey has heard how the Queen was “narked” that police were, she believed, eating snacks left out for her by Buckingham Palace staff.
In an email to the then editor of the News of the World, Andy Coulson, the former royal correspondent Clive Goodman claimed that the Queen had a “very savoury tooth” and that cashews, Bombay mix and almonds were being eaten by officers on patrol in the palace. The email, sent just ahead of the wedding of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall in 2005, claimed the Queen was “so narked she has started marking the bowls”.
Before further filching details were offered, the judge in the trial, Mr Justice Saunders, interrupted proceedings and amid laughter in the court reminded the jury that these were “unproven allegations”.
Mr Coulson and Goodman face two charges of conspiring to bribe public officials. Both deny the charges. Goodman was jailed in 2007 after being convicted of phone-hacking related offences.
The jury heard that payments were listed for officials who provided royal stories for the NOTW. Two names were cited in the paper’s contributor system as “David Farrish” and “Anderson”. Detective Inspector David Kennett, from the Metropolitan Police, questioned by Andrew Edis, QC, for the prosecution, told the court that police investigations had failed to establish if Mr Farrish or Anderson existed.
NOTW records showed that payments for 62 royal stories and 23 royal police stories were made, and that “Farrish” was paid for directories which contained the numbers of all members of the royal household.
Meanwhile, the former news editor of the NOTW, Ian Edmondson, has been judged medically unfit and is unable to take any further part in the trial. He will be tried by a different jury at a later date.
The trial continues.
Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
Archaeologists discover 2,400-year-old gold bongs in Russia
Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after British tourists complain of 'awkward' holidays
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship