Hampshire knife attack leaves 12-year-old boy 'fighting for his life'

Man arrested following a suspected stabbing in Havant that left two young people hospitalised, one of them criticially injured

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 12-year-old boy is fighting for his life after a suspected stabbing in Hampshire, which also left a 13-year-old boy seriously injured.

Police have arrested a 43-year-old man following the incident, described by police earlier as a "serious assault".

The incident occurred at the junction of Southleigh Road and Eastleigh Road in Havant just before 3pm on Friday.

A Hampshire constabulary spokesman said: "Two local children have been hurt and are being treated for injuries believed to have been caused by a knife.

"A 12-year-old-boy has been taken to Southampton General Hospital where his condition is described as life threatening.

"A 13-year-old-boy has been taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital at Cosham where his condition is described as serious but stable."

An earlier statement from the police said that a man had been detained "following a serious assault on two children in the street in Havant".

Extra police patrols were being deployed in the area this weekend, but officers said the incident was being treated as "isolated".

Chief Inspector Patrick Holdaway said: "My thoughts go out to the children who have been hurt and their families. We're providing assistance to them at the current time and both children are being treated in hospital for their injuries."

(Additional reporting by agencies)