High Court rules lawyers representing phone hacking victims have had 'too much of a good thing' with NI disclosures
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Friday 05 October 2012
The High Court ruled today that lawyers representing phone hacking victims have had “too much of a good thing” in terms of general disclosures from News International.
Mr Justice Vos, the judge hearing civil actions by more than 170 individuals, said that further access to hundreds of emails and other potential evidence on the News of the World's illegal activities will now take place only on a cases-by-case basis.
The judge said his decision did "not come easily" and mentioned NI's previous failure to disclose material and the admission it had also destroyed emails.
However he said the value of further "generic" disclosures were unlikely to be justified, nor cost effective, in relation to the civil actions.
Claimants had been seeking access to 433 emails contained in a computer file that was located in the room of a senior NI executive.
During a four day hearing last week, Mr Justice Vos hinted at the possibility of the civil actions having to wait till the current criminal trial process had been concluded.
However today he said he believed the civil trails could go ahead without "trespassing on allegations made in the criminal proceedings."
Claimants' lawyers last week also abandoned claims for exemplary damages.
A News International spokeswoman welcomed the court ruling last night saying that Mr Justice Vos had "in short" agreed with NGN that "enough is enough".
She added: "We have always been committed to bringing these proceedings to a fair, appropriate and expeditious conclusion."
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 5 Medina: Saudis take a bulldozer to Islam's history
- < Previous
- Next >