Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


How shotgun barrister's final day unfolded

Barrister Mark Saunders went on a chaotic drinking binge that led to a deadly stand-off with armed officers. Here is a timeline of his last day.

* 6.45am: Mr Saunders and wife Elizabeth drive from their Chelsea home to their Queen Elizabeth Building chambers in Temple. Their conversation is "happy and positive" and includes plans for a holiday to India in December.

* 8.40am: The barrister returns home and picks up his mother-in-law, Margaret Clarke, with whom he had spent the weekend, at King's Cross station at 10.30am. He is his "usual cheerful self".

* 11am: Mr Saunders texts his wife to say he is home and later rings a firm of solicitors in Lincoln.

* 1.30pm: His movements become unclear, but phone analysis shows he is in the Kensington area and has telephoned escort agencies.

* 4.10pm: Mr Saunders gets into David Hay's taxi in Cromwell Road and makes a series of bizarre phone calls. When he gets out about 20 minutes later he tells the driver: "I'm going to die."

* 4.40pm: Mr Saunders rings his friend Michael Bradley, another barrister, and, during the call, fires a gunshot. He then speaks to Ivor Treherne, the senior clerk at his chambers, and fires the gun again as police arrive.

* 4.40pm onwards: Armed police surround Mr Saunders' home at 46 Markham Square as cordons are erected, businesses commandeered and specialist officers drafted in from across the capital.

* 6.57pm: Senior negotiator Superintendent John Sutherland starts to call Mr Saunders' mobile and landline. Their discussions are constantly interrupted as the drunken gunman complains he cannot hear.

* 7.23pm: Mr Saunders is filmed leaning on his closed fourth-floor kitchen window as he tells negotiators he is scared of police, is "terrible with booze" and may soon die. He asks to speak to his wife.

* 7.51pm: Mr Saunders holds the first of several hand-written notes to his window. He later calls 999 and asks to speak to a "hostage negotiator".

* 8.55pm: The barrister becomes more incoherent, saying he will be "gunned down" before falling down the stairs as music blares in the background.

* 9.09pm: Mr Saunders blasts his shotgun through a window. Two officers return fire. No one is injured. About 90 seconds earlier a bright police spotlight is switched on. Before shooting, the barrister told a negotiator he needed to "blow off some steam".

* 9.10pm onwards: Mr Saunders does not speak to negotiators by telephone, but the line is left open. Events move quickly as police consider whether they have injured him.

* 9.20pm: Mr Saunders opens the smashed kitchen window and leans out. He sits on the ledge, holding a telephone handset in one hand. He leans backwards and looks upwards.

* 9.26pm: The barrister can be heard groaning and shouting he cannot hear police as he leans from the window. He is holding a shotgun in the hand left trailing inside.

* 9.31pm: Mr Saunders begins waving the shotgun out of the window, with the barrel pointing towards the sky. A police officer can be heard shouting "put the gun down" through a loud hailer.

* 9.32pm: The gunman slowly lowers the gun from vertical to horizontal. He is shot dead as it aligns with police marksmen on surrounding buildings.