'Hundreds' of mobiles hacked by newspaper
Tuesday 02 February 2010
The row over mobile phone voicemail intercepts by the News of the World is likely to flare up again with a claim today that well over 100 people have had their private accounts hacked.
Mobile phone companies have apparently identified at least 120 customers who have had their voicemails intercepted by a reporter and a private investigator from the newspaper, according to a report in The Guardian today.
The true number could be even higher because the records only cover some of the time the voicemails were being accessed illicitly. Both the newspaper and the police have previously spoken of just "a handful" of intercepts.
Clive Goodman, the paper's royal correspondent, and Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator, were both jailed for their roles in the scandal. The information they gleaned helped the paper break several exclusive stories.
Three years ago police passed on numbers used by the pair to Orange, Vodafone and O2, which used them to identify customers whose voicemail security had been compromised. Prince William and Prince Harry were the highest-profile victims but others included Boris Johnson during his time as a Tory opposition spokesman, and Tessa Jowell when she was Media Secretary.
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night