Influential rock singer Roy Harper accused of sex offences against under-age girl
Friday 15 November 2013
Veteran folk and rock performer Roy Harper has been charged with a series of historic sex offences against an under-age girl.
The singer-songwriter, who has performed with Pink Floyd and influenced rock band Led Zeppelin, has been summonsed to appear at Hereford Magistrates' Court on Monday, West Mercia Police said.
The 72-year-old, of Rossmore, Clonakilty, County Cork, in the Republic of Ireland, is facing nine sexual offences charges in total.
A force spokesman said: "The summons relates to two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with a girl under 13, three counts of indecent assault on a girl under 14 and four counts of gross indecency with a girl under 14.
"The charges are in connection with offences alleged to have taken place in Herefordshire between 1975 and 1977 and relate to one victim."
The prolific performer has produced more than 30 albums during his career, and continues to tour.
Tennis star is set to marry his long-term girlfriend, Kim Sears
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football