Investigation underway after placenta found in Gloucestershire woods
Friday 27 July 2012
Police have launched an investigation after a placenta and medical equipment were found discarded in woods.
A dog walker made the gruesome discovery in South Woodchester, near Stroud in Gloucestershire, shortly after 7pm yesterday.
Police said the woman was walking her dog along a track that leads from Bospin Lane to Selsley Common, when her dog disturbed a plastic bag.
The bag was found to contain a bowl, a placenta and some medical equipment.
The materials have been examined by a midwife, but it is impossible at this stage to say whether the placenta is from a human or an animal, police said. If it is from a human, the placenta is suspected to be from the birth of a baby of around 20 weeks gestation.
Inquiries have been made with local maternity units; however none of them have admitted a woman who has given birth to a baby of that age, police added.
Detective Inspector Steve Bean said: "Our overall concern is that there may be a woman who has medical needs, and equally there may be a very premature baby requiring urgent medical attention.
"We need to hear from whoever left the items there or, alternatively, anyone who has information about who left them there straight away.
"This is not a criminal investigation, it is purely aimed at ascertaining the welfare of whoever was involved in leaving the materials there."
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises