Islington police shooting: Man, 40, died after Metropolitan Police officer 'shot him twice', post-mortem concludes

The man suffered two bullet wounds, and died of "shock and hemorrhage"

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man who was shot by the police in north London last week died as a result of a gunshot wound to the chest, a post mortem has found.

In the first fatal shooting by the Metropolitan Police since the death of Mark Duggan in 2011, a 40-year-old man was shot on 5 September in a flat in Shepperton Road, Islington, after police were called to reports of a disturbance at around 11pm.

When they arrived minutes later, they found a 40-year-old man threatening a woman with a knife, the Met Police said at the time.

During the shooting shortly before 1am, the man had held the woman at knifepoint against a wall inside the flat, both the woman involved and the police officer who shot the man claimed in witness statements.

The area was then cordoned off and an ambulance called, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which is investigating the incident, said in a statement.

The man and woman were known to each other, but the exact nature of the relationship is yet to be established, it added.

A post mortem has concluded that the man died of “shock and hemorrhage” after a police officers fired two shots – one hitting the back of the left chest, and another entering the man’s upper left arm.

Video: Partner of man shot by Police to speak- London Live

Officers who attended the scene are currently being investigated by the IPPC, and the officer who fired the fatal shots and a number of other officers have been requested to attend interviews with IPCC investigators in the coming days.

House-to-house enquiries in the area by IPCC investigators, from which a number of witness statements have already been taken, are almost complete, the IPCC added.

Both the female victim and the deceased man’s family are being supported by managers of the IPCC family liaison team.

The man has not yet been publicly named as his body has not been formally identified.

IPCC Commissioner Cindy Butts said today: “I have today met with members of the bereaved family, who are very distressed, to extend my condolences and to update them on the progress of our investigation.

“I would like to assure all those concerned that the circumstances surrounding this tragedy will be investigated thoroughly.” 

The man is the first person killed by police in England, Scotland and Wales since March 2012, when Anthony Grainger, 36, was shot through the chest as he sat in a car in Cheshire.

Prosecutors decided not to charge any officers involved with unlawful killing, instead charging Greater Manchester Police under health and safety legislation, because poor police planning had allegedly led to Mr Grainger's death.