IT man stole £500,000 from Ofcom
Tuesday 07 June 2011
A senior member of IT staff at telecoms regulator Ofcom was jailed today for stealing more than £520,000.
Jurgen Whitehouse, 37, from Welling, Kent, used his insider knowledge to siphon off the money, the Metropolitan Police said.
Detective Constable Elliott Toms said: "This was a premeditated and calculated fraud on a public body which was conducted over a prolonged period.
"He exploited his expert knowledge of systems in place at Ofcom in order to steal in excess of half a million pounds.
"Today's sentence will hopefully serve as a deterrent to others who are similarly tempted to abuse their positions of responsibility."
Whitehouse was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court after admitting fraud between July 2008 and April 2009.
He stole £522,123 but has since given much of the money back, police said.
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Worker killed by robot at Volkswagen car factory
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 BP hit with record $18.7 billion fine over Deepwater Horizon Gulf oil spill