'It's outrageous. The police walked past telling us that we smelt'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The fight to change the world finished early for the anti- globalisation campaigner Zoe Moodie - before the G8 Summit had actually begun.

The 21-year-old from Kent was among almost 100 protesters arrested by riot police in Edinburgh on Monday night during almost 12 hours of running battles.

After pleading guilty to a breach of the peace yesterday, Ms Moodie was packing her bags and going home to Canterbury where she awaits an appearance at Edinburgh Sheriff's Court in October. As one of a number of protesters who gathered in Edinburgh for a week of demonstrations, she found herself caught up in the violence which erupted during the "Carnival For Full Enjoyment" which left 21 people injured and a trail of damage through the city centre.

But as she left court yesterday, Ms Moodie remained defiant . "It's outrageous. The police were walking past us yesterday and telling us we smelt. It wasn't very nice at all," she complained. "It was a total over-reaction and they just decided to blame us for what went on. I now have to leave the democratic protest and head back home."

During a short hearing this morning, the sheriff ordered Ms Moodie not to enter Edinburgh, Glasgow or Gleneagles, where world leaders are to meet today to discuss the plight of the poorest nations. Many of the other protesters received similar special conditions while some were remanded in custody.

Although the majority of the defendants were from the UK, some from as far afield as Bournemouth, others were from continental Europe and faced one or more charges, such as breach of the peace, alleged drugs and weapons offences and obstructing police.

One solicitor claimed the bail conditions sought by the Crown amounted to "deportation" from Scotland. His client, Christopher Pin-McElroy, from Hove, pleaded not guilty to breach of the peace and his bail included a requirement that he attend his local police station each day up to and including Sunday 10 July. "The Crown are seeking, in effect, to deport this man and return him to his address in Hove," said his lawyer, Eddie Wilson. That amounts to deportation from Scotland."

Mr Wilson also said the exclusions - from Edinburgh, Perth and Kinross and the Stirling council areas - breached various articles under the European Convention on Human Rights, given the nature of the allegations against his client.

However, Mr Wilson conceded that if the special conditions of bail were dropped by the sheriff, the Crown would be able to appeal and Mr Pin-McElroy would automatically return to custody pending that appeal.

Given that position, he added, his client accepted the bail conditions.

Even before the G8 protests began, routine work in the courts had been suspended to deal with anticipated arrests this week. There was tight security at the court building and public access was restricted.