Jack Tweed arrested in sex assault probe

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Jack Tweed was being questioned by police today after a woman alleged she had been sexually assaulted.

A large crowd of press photographers gathered outside Ilford police station in east London after the 22-year-old widower of reality television star Jade Goody was taken there following his arrest this morning.

The victim, who is in her late teens, reported the allegations that she had been sexually assaulted to police this morning.

Tweed and another man, also in his 20s, were arrested as a result of her claims, police said.

It is believed the woman met the men at a central London club last night.

The alleged sex attack took place at a residential address in Redbridge, north-east London, but police refused to confirm if the property involved belonged to Tweed.

A police spokesman said: "A female in her late teens has made an allegation of sexual assault.

"The alleged incident occurred in the Redbridge area in the early hours of this morning.

"Two men in their 20s have been arrested in connection with the inquiry."

Tweed's spokesman, Mark Thomas, declined to comment on the arrest but confirmed that a lawyer had been hired to represent his client.

Tweed has never been far from controversy since Goody died in March this year.

He married the Big Brother star shortly before her death.

He has spoken widely about how he has struggled to come to terms with her passing and admitted turning to alcohol to ease the pain.

He said last month: "I don't really know how I'm bearing up at the moment. I'm drinking quite a lot, which I shouldn't be.

"I shouldn't be saying it but I don't want to lie to anyone and I am drinking quite a lot and I've got to go and see someone or I've got to stop."

Last month pictures emerged of three women leaving Tweed's bachelor pad after partying the night before.

The group were said to have spent time at an Essex night-spot before continuing the party at Tweed's home.

Tweed has also been linked to glamour model Lisa O'Connor, 21, but he reportedly said later that he was drunk and regretted what happened.

He was freed from prison in May after serving half of a 12-week sentence for assaulting a taxi driver.