Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Joey Barton to face no action over John Terry Twitter comments


Footballer Joey Barton will not be prosecuted for posting a series of comments online about John Terry ahead of his trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.

The Queens Park Rangers midfielder posted the remarks on Twitter on Friday after Terry was stripped of the England captaincy, then added that he thought he might get into trouble.

A spokesman for Attorney General Dominic Grieve QC said he had been made aware of the tweets, but today announced that no further action will be taken.

The spokesman said of the tweets: "They have been considered in relation to any possible contempt of court they could create. In this instance the Attorney has decided no action is necessary.

"Although in this instance no action will be taken, we would like to remind those who publish material that proceedings for the John Terry trial are active.

"Any discussion of a live court case has the potential to interfere with its proper course."

After airing his views about Terry on the micro-blogging site, Barton added: "I'll probably get a letter now from 'the powers that be'.

"If you're reading this don't bother..."

Barton later returned to Twitter and defended his comments on the grounds of free speech.

Terry, who was removed from his role as England captain on Friday, denies the allegations and will stand trial in July, only days after Euro 2012 finishes.

The Attorney General is the Government's senior law officer, whose remit includes ensuring defendants facing criminal allegations receive a fair trial.