Judges hear first appeals over riots
The first challenges to sentences imposed for the August riots will be heard at the Court of Appeal today.
The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting with Lord Justice Thomas and Lord Justice Leveson will hear appeals in 10 Crown Court cases.
They include appeals by two men jailed for four years for setting up Facebook pages inciting others to riot.
One of the key issues is whether tough sentences handed down were "proportionate".
More than 1,700 people have appeared before the courts in connection with the riots, with 300 sentenced.
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
World news in pictures
British man confesses to slitting two children's throats in Lyon flat
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...