Jury selection begins in De Graff heist trial
Monday 19 April 2010
Jury selection began today in the case of nine men accused of taking part in Britain's biggest jewellery robbery.
The defendants are all charged in relation to the £40 million raid on Graff jewellers in New Bond Street, Mayfair, central London, on August 6 last year.
Judge Jeffrey Pegden QC will oversee the 10-week trial at Woolwich Crown Court in London.
A panel of 19 jurors was chosen today. The final 12 are due to be selected and sworn in tomorrow, with the trial expected to open on Wednesday.
A gang forced a woman employee to fill a bag with 43 pieces of jewellery, including earrings, necklaces and watches.
They used a series of getaway cars and a motorcycle to escape across the capital, firing two shots in the process.
All nine defendants are charged with conspiracy to rob Graff jewellers between August 3 and August 7 2009.
Aman Kassaye, 24, of no fixed address, is also charged with kidnap and possession of a handgun and sawn-off shotgun.
Craig Calderwood, 27, also of no fixed address, is charged with possessing a handgun and sawn-off shotgun.
The other seven defendants are:
* Solomun Beyene, 25, of Lilestone Street, Marylebone, north-west London;
* Clinton Jamal Mogg, 42, of Westby Road, Bournemouth, Dorset;
* Courtney Lawrence, 31, of Ladbroke Grove, west London;
* Gregory Jones, 30, of Elgin Avenue, Maida Vale, west London;
* Benjamine McFarlane, 22, of Paveley Street, Marylebone, north-west London;
* David Joseph, 23, of Flaxman Road, Loughborough Junction, south-east London; and
* Thomas Thomas, 45, of Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames.
A former custard factory, a Midlands bog and a Leeds cemetery all included in top 50 hidden spots in the UK
Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
Drew Barrymore’s sister Jessica found dead in her car surrounded by 'dozens of white pills'
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >