Lawyer may have been 'targeted for Diana stories'
News of the World phone hackers may have targeted one of Britain's leading lawyers in an attempt to uncover stories about Diana, Princess of Wales.
Michael Mansfield QC, who represented the family of Diana's former lover Dodi Fayed at the inquest into her death, said he received a letter from Scotland Yard saying he was on a list of possible targets.
He said: "Journalists would have been trying to get stories about Diana. It is particularly disturbing."
The letter was sent to Mr Mansfield's chambers about six months ago, he said.
Police gave no details of when his mobile phone may have been hacked.
Mr Mansfield, a prominent campaigning lawyer who also represented the family of police shooting victim Jean Charles de Menezes, said police should not be in charge of the investigation.
"This is information that must have been available for some time," he said.
"What I find so disturbing is that there was this investigation in the first place.
"If the sort of information is correct that police officers have been handed money, then the whole investigation needs to take place independently."
Mr Mansfield said he had been suspicious that secret services had been monitoring his calls for years.
Hackers would have failed in their bid to gain exclusives about the princess, he added.
"I have had some suspicion for many years that my phone may have been listened to, not only by the press," he said. "As a consequence I have always been careful with what is being said over the phone."
Mr Mansfield, who specialises in miscarriages of justice and has represented Angela Cannings, the Birmingham Six and Barry George, is one of the most high-profile legal names in Britain.
He acted for the family of Stephen Lawrence and the relatives of victims at the Bloody Sunday Inquiry but became perhaps best known for representing Mohamed al Fayed at Diana's inquest.
Diana's former lover James Hewitt is suing the News of the World for invasion of privacy over allegations that his phone was hacked, his lawyer Charlotte Harris of Mischon de Reya said.
Mr Hewitt, an ex-cavalry officer who served during the first Gulf War, lodged a claim with the High Court on May 25.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do