Man arrested after woman shot dead
Monday 19 September 2011
A murder inquiry is under way after a woman was found shot dead on remote farmland, police said.
Devon and Cornwall Police made the grim discovery after being called to a remote property, near Parracombe in north Devon, to reports of a domestic incident.
A man in his 50s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody.
The force said it was not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident, having been called to the property at around 5.40pm yesterday.
"On arrival police found the body of a woman aged in her forties in the grounds of the property having sustained apparent gunshot wounds," a force spokesman said.
"A man in his 50s was located and arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder.
"Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.
"The premises remains cordoned off and police crime scene investigators are at the scene conducting a forensic examination."
Syria conflict: President Assad finally turns on Isis as government steps up campaign against militant strongholds
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
Celebrity Big Brother 2014: Audley Harrison meets Kellie Maloney: 'Was Kellie really the best you could come up with?'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations