Man arrested over body found in flat
A man was arrested on suspicion of murder after a body was found in a flat, police said today.
Officers found the body of Michael John Hammersley, 32, at an address in Brookfield Court, Union Street, Stoke-on-Trent, when they were called at 4.45pm yesterday.
Detectives have now arrested a 24-year-old local man, who is helping police with their inquiries.
Forensic scenes of crime officers were at the scene today and house-to-house calls were being made in the area.
A police spokesman added that the death was being treated as unexplained.
A Home Office post-mortem examination was due to take place today to establish the cause of death.
Superintendent Bernie O'Reilly, of Staffordshire Police, said: "Neighbourhood officers are working closely with local residents to support those affected by this tragic incident.
"I urge anyone with any concerns to contact their local neighbourhood officer."
Anyone who saw Mr Hammersley, of Brookfield Court, in the last few days is asked to call the force's Major Investigations Department on 01785 233 600 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition