Man charged after human remains found in house

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man was today charged in connection with the discovery of human remains found in a house by police searching for a missing woman.

Samantha Wright, 25, was last seen alive as she made her way home from a Jobcentre in Edinburgh on 12 June last year.

Police investigating Miss Wright's disappearance found what they believed to be human remains at an address in Magdalene Drive, in the Duddingston area of the city, last night.

Lothian and Borders Police started searching the property shortly after 5.30pm yesterday.

Today a spokesman for the force said: "A 57-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the discovery of human remains at a domestic property in Magdelene Drive, Edinburgh.

"A full forensic examination to identify the remains is being undertaken.

"The man is due to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Wednesday October 14."

Miss Wright was last seen alive at the Jobcentre in the High Riggs area.

She was registered as a missing person in January this year, after her family raised the alarm when she failed to contact them at Christmas or on her birthday.

Since she went missing, no cash has been withdrawn from her bank account and she has not used her mobile phone.

Last night the Lothian and Borders Police spokesman said: "Following searches as part of the ongoing inquiry into the disappearance of Samantha Wright, officers discovered what they believe to be human remains.

"Inquiries at Magdalene Drive in Edinburgh are at an early stage and a full forensic recovery has to be undertaken to determine identity traits, including gender, age and origin.

"Lothian and Borders Police currently have a number of missing persons inquiries and it is too soon to speculate as to the possible identity of these remains."

Earlier this year, police unearthed CCTV footage showing the woman in Edinburgh's Hanover Street and an older man walking with her.

Originally from Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Miss Wright moved to Scotland three and half years ago after visiting the city with her family.

Her mother, Catherine Gibson, had previously spoken of her fears that her daughter would not be traced alive, telling reporters that knowing she was missing was "like a headache that won't go away".

"We don't know what to think, some of the thoughts that go through my mind are just absolutely horrible," she said earlier this year.