Man charged with attempted murder after tourist attack
Sunday 03 July 2011
A man has been charged with attempted murder after a 78-year-old tourist was attacked near York Minster.
The South African was hit repeatedly over the head with a rock or cobble after a stranger struck up conversation with him at around 8.30pm on Friday.
Witnesses dialled 999 and the pair were found in the Deans Park area.
The victim was taken to York District Hospital for treatment to a serious head injury and damage to his hand. He has since been released from hospital and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
North Yorkshire Police said officers arrested a 43-year-old man from Tadcaster at the scene.
He was charged with attempted murder last night and was remanded in custody to appear before York Magistrates' Court tomorrow.
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free