Man charged with attempted murder after tourist attack
Sunday 03 July 2011
A man has been charged with attempted murder after a 78-year-old tourist was attacked near York Minster.
The South African was hit repeatedly over the head with a rock or cobble after a stranger struck up conversation with him at around 8.30pm on Friday.
Witnesses dialled 999 and the pair were found in the Deans Park area.
The victim was taken to York District Hospital for treatment to a serious head injury and damage to his hand. He has since been released from hospital and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
North Yorkshire Police said officers arrested a 43-year-old man from Tadcaster at the scene.
He was charged with attempted murder last night and was remanded in custody to appear before York Magistrates' Court tomorrow.
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Isis 'A Message in Blood' video shows beheading of Kurdish man in Iraq
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
- < Previous
- Next >