Man dies following street assault
Monday 30 May 2011
A man who was assaulted in the street has died, police said.
The 43-year-old was hit over the head with a blunt object in Brixton, south London, last Thursday.
Scotland Yard said that police were called to the area outside KFC in Brixton Road at 11.05pm, where the victim was lying unconscious.
He was taken by ambulance to a south London hospital where he died today.
A spokesman said: "Officers know the man's identity, and next of kin have been informed. However, formal identification is awaited.
"A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course."
Police believe that the victim and two friends were involved in an altercation with three other men, which led to one of the suspects attacking the victim. The three suspects then made off in the direction of Coldharbour Lane.
Officers from Lambeth CID investigated initially, with the case being handed over today to detectives from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command (HSCC), under Detective Chief Inspector Amanda Hargreaves.
Anyone with information can call the incident room at Sutton on 020 8721 4155; if people wish to remain anonymous, they can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
'Jihadi John': Mohammed Emwazi – from British computer programmer to Isis executioner
Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 1 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 2 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 3 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 4 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'