Man dies in early-morning blaze
Monday 30 May 2011
A man was killed in a house fire in the early hours of this morning, police said.
Two people escaped the blaze in Hartlepool but a 20-year-old man could not be saved.
A spokesman for Cleveland Police said: "Police officers on patrol discovered a fire at Formby Close in the Clavering area of Hartlepool at 5.05am.
"It was reported one person was still trapped inside the address. Two people had managed to escape to safety and were taken to the University Hospital of Hartlepool for the effects of smoke inhalation and were released following treatment.
"The adjoining house was evacuated as the fire brigade tackled the fire."
Police said the cause of the fire was being investigated.
The identity of the victim will not be released until all relatives have been informed.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters