Man found guilty of using hypnotism to abuse girl
Thursday 16 December 2010
A man whose partner is accused of murdering their two children is facing jail after using hypnotism and violence to sexually abuse a girl.
Martin Smith, 45, a TV "psychic" who had regular access to the girl, abused her for almost a decade from when she was aged seven, Manchester Crown Court heard. The victim, now in her 20s, told the jury Smith would attempt to hypnotise her, hit and bully her, to ensure she complied.
Smith's daughter, Rebecca, five, and son Daniel, 11 months, were found dead in the Hotel Miramar in Lloret de Mar on the Costa Brava in May. Smith had been arrested in Spain on a UK extradition warrant days earlier. Their mother, Lianne Smith, 44, is being held by Spanish police on suspicion of their murder.
Smith was extradited back to the UK earlier this year to stand trial and yesterday a jury found him guilty of 11 counts of rape, attempted rape, indecency with a child and indecent assault, from 1995 to 2004.
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Katie Hopkins reported to the police for race hatred by Labour MP Simon Danczuk after tweet about Pakistani men
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims