Man guilty of killing lawyer at Tube station
Friday 23 December 2011
A man who pushed a leading human rights lawyer in front of a Tube train was cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter at the Old Bailey yesterday.
David Burgess, 63, a cross-dresser known as Sonia, died during the rush hour at King's Cross station in October last year.
Senthooran Kanagasingham had denied murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility. The 35-year-old from Cricklewood, north London, was jailed for a minimum of seven years. Doctors said he no longer required hospital treatment for paranoid schizophrenia.
The victim had befriended the killer and had introduced him to his GP as he was worried about his mental state. Kanagasingham was undergoing sex-change treatment.
Brian Altman QC, prosecuting, said commuters had seen Kanagasingham push Mr Burgess. A note found in his rucksack said he was "depressed". He added Mr Burgess, a divorced father of three children, had built "an enviable and brilliant reputation" as a solicitor.
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations