Man held after police officer hit by car in Birmingham
Officer suffered suspected fractured pelvis attempting to stop vehicle
A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a police officer was hit by a car in Birmingham.
44-year-old officer suffered a suspected fractured pelvis attempting to stop a car in the Erdington area following reports of an intruder in a shed.
A 50-year old man has been arrested in Aston following the incident.
Police were called to reports of an intruder in a shed in Erdington just before earlier this afternoon.
Officers flooded the area around Compton Road and began an extensive search for the suspect following the 999 call.
A short time later, a man matching the description of the suspect was spotted in a car on Oval Road.
The officer, from Sutton Coldfield police station, attempted to stop the vehicle and was struck by vehicle, West Midlands Police said.
The officer, who has served with the force for 11 years, was taken to hospital, where he remains this evening.
A force spokesperson said enquiries are ongoing into the incident.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27