Man held in loyalist murder probe
Saturday 30 July 2011
Detectives investigating a loyalist murder in Belfast arrested a man today.
The Ulster Volunteer Force was blamed after Bobby Moffett was gunned down in broad daylight on the Shankill Road in May 2010.
The suspect, 55, was detained in north Belfast today and taken to Antrim police station for questioning.
Moffett, 43, was a member of the UVF-allied Red Hand Commando terror group.
His murder caused political ramifications by forcing the resignation of the UVF-aligned Progressive Unionist Party leader Dawn Purvis. She was the party's sole representative in the Northern Ireland assembly but said she could no longer "defend the indefensible".
The UVF has carried out acts of decommissioning but the killing raised fresh questions about that process. PA
'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
Tim Cook: Apple CEO comes out as gay publicly for the first time 'It's among the greatest gifts God has given me'
Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
Halloween 2014: From the Screaming Man of Pluckley to the 'White Lady' of the Tower of London - Britain's 20 most haunted places
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella