Man in court on Birmingham taxi murder charge
Thursday 09 August 2012
A 28-year-old man has appeared in court charged with the murder of a young mother-of-three in a taxi on his birthday.
Junior Saleem Oakes is accused of stabbing Natasha Trevis to death in Northfield, Birmingham, on Tuesday morning.
Relatives of the 22-year-old victim sobbed in the public gallery as Oakes appeared at Birmingham Magistrates' Court.
Oakes, of Dimsdale Road, Northfield, Birmingham, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during the brief hearing.
Dressed in a grey hooded top, he kept his head bowed for much of his appearance.
Miss Trevis, who had two daughters aged three and 18 months and a seven-month-old son, was stabbed repeatedly in the attack and died at the scene.
Oakes was remanded in custody to appear at Birmingham Crown Court on Monday morning.
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Who should I vote for in the general election? Take The Independent's interactive quiz to find out which party is the right choice for you
Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
Met Gala 2015: Jason Derulo falling over in epic fashion, the event's most talked about moment, wasn't what it seemed
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach