Man in court over £250,000 Heathrow cocaine smuggle
Friday 11 May 2012
A suspected drug smuggler appeared in court today accused of flying into Heathrow with cocaine worth £250,000 in his luggage.
Lucian Petrica Codreanu, 27, was arrested at Terminal 5 yesterday after arriving on a flight from Rio de Janeiro, the UK Border Agency said.
Officers searching the Romanian's bags said they seized about 2.5 kilos (5.5lb) of cocaine, which could eventually be worth £250,000 on the street.
Codreanu was remanded in custody charged with attempting to import a class A drug when he appeared at Uxbridge Magistrates' Court this morning.
He will appear again at the same court for a committal hearing on June 19.
Marc Owen, of Heathrow's border force, said: "Border force officers are on constant alert to keep illegal drugs and other banned substances out of the UK.
"Drug trafficking is a serious offence and those convicted face long prison sentences. Our message to those who would consider it is that it's just not worth it."
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM