Man jailed after telling his girlfriend he had been mugged - to avoid telling her he spent £150 on a night out
Wednesday 11 December 2013
Overspending on booze during a night out has - through a bizarre series of events - landed a 24-year-old man with six months in prison.
Christopher Kimberley, from Stoke-on-Trent, didn't want to tell his girlfriend he had spent £150 on the drinks, and instead told her he had been mugged.
He even said his boss, Jamie Cox, had mugged him. He said Mr Cox - who he had been out with - had taken his bank card, demanded his pin and then stole money from his bank account.
Things soon got out of hand when his girlfriend rang police to report the fictitious crime, and officers were dispatched to question Mr Kimberley.
Mr Cox was arrested and held in a police cell for 12 hours, but said that the story might have just been a way to avoid the truth spilling out.
On Monday Kimberley plead guilty to an act intending to pervert the course of justice, and was jailed for six months
Sentencing Judge Paul Glenn said: "You wasted a significant amount of police time and the time of an ambulance team who came out to see you when you complained of your injuries."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'