Man jailed for killing friend in get-away

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man who ran over his own friend and left him dying in the road was jailed for more than five years today.

Steven Britton, 21, was behind the wheel of a Golf GTi fleeing police when he crashed into Adam Jama, 18, who was on an off road motorbike.

Mr Jamma was thrown into the air and landed on the front of the Golf, smashing its windscreen.

Britton carried on for 50 yards down Phoebe Street in Salford, Greater Manchester, before his friend fell off the bonnet and he then fled the scene leaving the victim dying in the road.

Days after the crash, around 5pm on March 23, he handed himself in at Swinton police station.

He told officers he had, "done it" and confessed that Adam was also his friend.

On being charged he added: "I am sorry to him and all his family. I'll go to jail for what I've done."

A police officer on traffic patrol had spotted Britton in the Golf moments before the crash.

Britton sped away on seeing the police vehicle and the officer turned his car around to pursue it but was 200 yards behind.

The officer did not see the crash and pulled up when he saw Mr Jama in the road.

An ambulance was called and the victim was taken to hospital where he later died.

Britton, of Cloughfield Avenue, Ordsall, Salford, admitted causing death by dangerous driving and was jailed for five years and four months at Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester.

Det Sgt Julie Connor, from Greater Manchester Police said: "There are simply no excuses for what Britton did.

"He drove recklessly and without a second thought for anyone else prior to the collision.

"To compound matters he fled the scene, leaving Adam, his so-called friend, dying in the road.

"His actions were cowardly and act as a stark reminder of the fatal consequences of driving at speed.

"He will now spend many years behind bars contemplating the devastation he has caused, not only to the lives of Adam's family, but to his own life, due to his reckless driving."