Man jailed over cocaine in peppers
Wednesday 18 April 2012
A drug trafficker has been jailed for attempting to smuggle cocaine-stuffed peppers into the UK.
Sierra Leone national Stanley Okpara, 42, was arrested by Border Force officers when he attempted to collect the drugs which had arrived in a freight shipment to Manchester Airport from Nigeria on February 25.
The peppers - stashed in boxes - were found to contain 200g of the drug which when cut would have a street value of about £13,000, said the Home Office.
Okpara, of Gertrude Close, Salford, was jailed for seven years at Bolton Crown Court yesterday after he was convicted of fraudulent evasion of prohibition by bringing a controlled drug into the country.
Pete Avery of Border Force said: "Cocaine is an evil and addictive drug that ruins the lives of users, their families and the wider community.
"Our officers work round the clock and use a combination of the latest technology, sniffer dogs and their own expertise and experience to protect our borders.
"Anyone involved in smuggling illegal drugs can expect to be caught and to pay a heavy penalty, as the sentence handed out shows."
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'