Man killed in car explosion named
Thursday 19 May 2011
Police named a man today who died in an explosion in his car.
A major incident operation was launched after the body of David Bagley, 58, from Navigation Point, Hartlepool, was found behind the wheel of his destroyed Nissan Micra in the early hours yesterday.
Three ambulance staff and two police officers who were on the scene were treated in hospital briefly after complaining of sore throats.
Fears that dangerous chemicals may have been stored in his apartment overlooking the town's marina led to more than 100 people being evacuated until late last night from nearby homes.
Army bomb disposal experts were only allowed into the property when it was deemed safe.
Detective Superintendent Gordon Lang said: "Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with this death and we are now working on behalf of the coroner."
Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Howard 'Mr Nice' Marks reveals he has inoperable cancer: 'I've had an incredible life'
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back