Man released on bail after triple death crash

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 20-year-old man arrested in connection with the death of three sixth-form students in a horrific car crash was today released on bail pending further enquiries, police said.

Close friends Oliver Cross, Thomas Dunn and Michael Tempest, all aged 16, were killed when the car they were travelling in was in collision with another vehicle on the A58 near Wetherby, West Yorkshire.

A West Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said a 20-year-old man from Harrogate, who was arrested in connection with the collision, has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

The 17-year-old driver of the car, who has not been named, was seriously injured and was taken to York District Hospital for treatment.

The teenagers were travelling in a red Ford Escort when it was involved in a collision with a silver Renault Kangoo between Collingham and Wetherby at about 8.30pm on Friday.

The 62-year-old woman driver of the Kangoo suffered a broken leg in the crash, while her 68-year-old husband escaped with cuts and bruises.

The teenagers had recently left Wetherby School and were in the sixth form at St Aiden's School in Harrogate.

Prior to the accident, the four teenagers had enjoyed a pizza in Collingham and were making the one-mile journey back to Wetherby when the collision happened.

Michael Tempest, known as Tempo, was the son of former footballer and TV betting pundit Dale Tempest, who played for Fulham, Huddersfield Town, Gillingham and Colchester United before moving to Hong Kong where Michael was born.

He was a keen sportsman - playing in goal for Wetherby Athletic under 17s and a member of the Golf Club Juniors - and also played the drums in local band Panic Frenzy.

Police said Oliver Cross, an avid Liverpool FC fan, was a very popular teenager who gained 12 A and A* GCSEs at Wetherby High School before he left to attend St Aidens C of E School sixth form at Harrogate.

He had a 20-year-old sister and played tennis at Wetherby Tennis Club for the junior, senior and men's first team. He also played cricket at Wetherby Cricket Club and football at Wetherby Athletic.

Thomas Dunn also died in the crash.