Man remanded on knife murder charge
Thursday 24 February 2011
A 48-year-old man was remanded in custody today after appearing in court charged with stabbing a 39-year-old to death in a seaside town.
Alexandre Sokolnikov, of no fixed address, suffered fatal stab wounds to the heart during a fracas which spilled from a basement flat in Ceylon Place, Eastbourne, East Sussex, on to the street.
Mark John Watson, also of no fixed address, appeared at Eastbourne Magistrates' Court charged with his murder, a spokeswoman for Sussex Police said.
He was also injured during the incident on Monday evening and was taken to Eastbourne District General Hospital for treatment.
No plea was entered and he was remanded in custody to appear at Lewes Crown Court on Monday.
International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
Feminist quotes to inspire you on the International Women's Day
Oscar Pistorius trial: Never mind a media scrum – murder case becomes bizarre safari following the tracks of a wounded lion
International Women's Day 2014: Mothers and daughters describe their hopes and dreams in touching photographs
International Women’s Day: 'I've just done what I damn well wanted to' - feminist quotes from female icons to inspire you
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it