Man remanded on knife murder charge
Thursday 24 February 2011
A 48-year-old man was remanded in custody today after appearing in court charged with stabbing a 39-year-old to death in a seaside town.
Alexandre Sokolnikov, of no fixed address, suffered fatal stab wounds to the heart during a fracas which spilled from a basement flat in Ceylon Place, Eastbourne, East Sussex, on to the street.
Mark John Watson, also of no fixed address, appeared at Eastbourne Magistrates' Court charged with his murder, a spokeswoman for Sussex Police said.
He was also injured during the incident on Monday evening and was taken to Eastbourne District General Hospital for treatment.
No plea was entered and he was remanded in custody to appear at Lewes Crown Court on Monday.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace