Man remanded over dead tourist
A 36-year-old man charged with perverting the course of justice following the death of a British tourist in the Canary Islands appeared in court today.
Christopher Chittock of Ipswich, Suffolk, appeared before magistrates in Ipswich.
Police in Spain and Suffolk launched an inquiry after the body of 23-year-old Sarah Shields, also of Ipswich, was found off the island of Gran Canaria earlier this month.
Detectives said Miss Shields had gone on a two-week holiday to Gran Canaria and was reported missing when she failed to return home as scheduled on July 11.
They said a woman's body was discovered off Gran Canaria on July 7 and identified as that of Miss Shields earlier this week.
Chittock spoke only to confirm personal details and was remanded in custody until July 27.
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
VMAs 2015: Kanye West runs for president, Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus and the list of winners in full
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition