Man remanded over death of Facebook girl
A homeless man accused of kidnapping and killing a teenage girl he is alleged to have met on Facebook appeared before a Crown Court judge today.
Peter Chapman, 32, did not enter pleas at Teesside Crown Court where he made a ten minute appearance via videolink.
Bespectacled Chapman, who appeared unshaven and dressed in a grey T-shirt, hung his head as he was addressed by prosecutor Gale Gilchrist.
He spoke only to confirm his name and to say he could hear the court proceedings clearly.
Chapman is charged with the kidnap and manslaughter of trainee nanny Ashleigh Hall, whose body was found dumped in a ditch on farmland near Sedgefield, County Durham.
The 17-year-old Darlington College student had gone missing the night before, after telling her mother she was going to stay overnight at a friend's house.
Chapman also faces a charge of failing to notify a new address as required by the Sex Offenders Act.
The case was adjourned until January next year and Chapman was remanded in custody.
On Friday, Ashleigh's mother Andrea Hall spoke in public for the first time about her daughter, who she described as her rock, saying she was "bubbly, lively and lovely" and a bit of a chatterbox.
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice