Man shot dead in broad daylight in east London street

The man, who has not been identified, was killed in Chatsworth Road

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man has been shot dead in broad daylight in east London after being chased through the streets in scenes compared to a Hollywood film by shocked witnesses.

Passers-by described how people “jumped to the ground and scattered” as they heard gunshots in Hackney, running from the scene.

A witness told The Independent the victim was being chased down Chatsworth Road when he was shot outside the Regal Pharmacy.

The man, who did not want to be named, said the victim was running and fell over railings outside the chemist.

He briefly entered the butchers’ shop next door, leaving a trail of blood before stumbling out again and collapsing in the street.

“There was blood on the floor in butchers’,” the witness said. “You don’t know what a gunshot sounds like until you hear it in real life. 

“It sounds like some kids were just letting off firecrackers. It happened so fast.”

A member of staff in Mighty Meats, the butcher’s shop that has been next door for more than 30 years, said everyone was in shock.

“It’s the first time something like that has happened here, like a movie,” he added

The victim’s age has not been confirmed but witnesses described him as a “kid”.

Chatsworth Road, lined with shops and cafes, is known for its busy Sunday market and hosted a local festival earlier this month.

One of the many people walking down the street when Saturday’s shooting started described scenes of panic.

“People jumped to the ground and scattered after shots were heard,” Stephen O’Flaherty wrote on Twitter.

Police were called shortly before 1.15pm on Saturday and found the victim on the ground at the junction with nearby Glenarm Road.

“Specialist firearms officers and the London Ambulance Service attended the scene and found a man with injuries consistent with being shot,” a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said. “He was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Police have launched a murder investigation and streets in the area have been closed as forensics experts gather evidence.

No arrests have yet been made an inquiries continue.