Man shot dead outside Wandsworth prison
Friday 01 May 2009
A man was shot dead today outside a prison in southwest London after visiting an inmate, police said.
The man, believed to be aged in his 20s, was gunned down in the car park at the front of Wandsworth Prison at about 2.30pm and two suspects wearing crash helmets were seen running away, police said.
The shot man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The victim has not yet been named although a police spokeswoman said officers believed they knew the man's identity.
The spokeswoman said she could not confirm media reports that at least four shots had been fired.
"I saw two men in the street. They made me nervous," an unnamed eyewitness was quoted by media as saying.
"They were wearing motorcycle helmets with the fronts pulled down over their faces. I walked into a shop, I thought they were cash van security guards.
"That is when I heard several bangs. I thought they were gunshots, there were at least four."
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'