Manchester police make four arrests after man is shot dead in pub


Click to follow
The Independent Online

Police have made four arrests whilst investigating the murder of a 23-year-old man who was gunned down in front of his friends and family in a pub in Greater Manchester.

Mark Short, 23, from Clayton, died after a gunman opened fire on a group of people in the Cotton Tree pub in Droylsden.

Greater Manchester Police have said a 34-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and a 52-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Two other men, 18 and 21, have also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

The gunman, wearing a balaclava, walked into the pub containing around 20 people just before midnight on Friday and shot at a group of men around the pool table.

A 25-year-old man and a 26-year-old man were treated in hospital for gunshot wounds to the leg and a 29-year old man was hit with a bullet in his lower-back.

Detective Chief Inspector Denise Worth, of the Major Incident Team said, "Mark was a young man who was tragically shot dead while in a pub with family and friends, and our thoughts are with his loved ones who have, understandably, been left devastated.

"We remain in the very early stages of our investigation and I continue to appeal to anyone with information about the gunman, his accomplices or conspirators to contact us in absolute confidence.

"There continue to be extra police officers in the area so if anyone wants to provide information about this or has any concerns, please come and talk to us."

Police added that Short’s family are being supported by family liaison officers and are continuing to cooperate with the investigation.

Chief Superintendant Nick Adderley, Division Commander for Tameside Police, said that the Cotton Tree pub was not known to be a regular location for trouble.

He added, “What we do know is that it was a lone gunman who was wearing a balaclava and is believed to have opened fire on a group of males standing around the pool table in the premises.

“He then coolly and callously walked out of the pub and got in to a vehicle and made his escape. We do believe there were a couple of males in the vehicle. We would appeal for anyone to come forward who saw the vehicle driving at high speed or erratically around that time.

"We don’t believe it was a random attack. We are not linking it to gangs at this stage.”