Manhunt intensifies for east London serial rapist
Sunday 05 July 2009
Police have stepped up the search for a serial sex attacker who has raped three women and murdered one. The operation is rapidly becoming one of Britain's biggest manhunts.
With the man now linked to up to eight attacks in the east London area, extra detectives have been assigned to help with the investigation amid fears that the killer could strike again at any time.
A massive DNA sweep has been undertaken in recent weeks involving men living in 9,000 homes near the scene of the murder in Walthamstow, Waltham Forest. Those who match the suspect's description were asked to give samples. DNA swabs have been taken from 345 men in what is thought to be the biggest DNA sweep since the 2006 search for the killer of Sally Anne Bowman.
Michelle Samaraweera was raped and killed on 30 May. The 35-year-old was attacked after popping out to the supermarket late at night to buy milk.
Her partially-clothed body was discovered in a children's play area.
DNA evidence has already linked Ms Samaraweera's killer to two other rapes in the area, both of which took place less than a mile away from the scene of the murder.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27