Mansfield bodies-in-the-garden case now being treated as double murder, say police
William and Patricia Wycherley disppeared in 1998
A elderly couple are believed to have been murdered and their remains buried in the back garden of their suburban semi-detached house.
William and Patricia Wycherley – who would now be aged 100 and 79 – disappeared in 1998. Detectives in Nottinghamshire believe that two bodies discovered at the quiet cul-de-sac in Mansfield are those of the reclusive couple.
Post-mortem tests have been carried out but have so far proved inconclusive. Detective Chief Inspector Rob Griffin said the cause of death was not yet known but he was treating the case as a murder inquiry.
“At this time we are unable to categorically say that the remains that have been uncovered are those of the Wycherleys but I am confident that the two sets of skeletal remains are indeed those of Patricia and William,” he said.
The couple moved to the property in 1987. Police began excavating after receiving a tip of about an “incident” in the late 1990s. Neighbours described how the couple had disappeared, with some believing they had emigrated. It was reported that family members had been receiving Christmas cards signed "Bill and Pat" as recently as four years ago.
The present owners are not part of the investigation.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'