Massive van bomb 'ready to go' at Northern Ireland border
Saturday 28 April 2012
A van bomb found near the Irish border contained 600lbs of homemade explosive and was "ready to go", police revealed today.
A senior officer confirmed the device was larger than had originally been estimated and could have caused devastation.
The white Citroen Berlingo van was spotted by a member of the public on Thursday evening after it was abandoned on a border road outside Newry in Northern Ireland.
The security operation on the vehicle only ended late last night and District Commander Chief Superintendent Alasdair Robinson today said it could have caused major loss of life had it detonated.
"The device contained two blue barrels with 125kg of homemade explosives in each one, and a detonator - all the equipment which meant this device was ready to go," he said.
"To explain it, there was 600lbs of explosives.
"This was a very significant device. If this had exploded it would have caused devastation."
Dissident republicans opposed to the peace process are being blamed for the failed attack.
The same groups have been linked to the discovery of a smaller explosive device, plus a weapons cache, in north Belfast last night.
Newry's courthouse was damaged by a major car bomb in 2010, but Mr Robinson said the latest find was twice as big as the bomb used in that attack.
He said of the van bomb: "To put it in perspective - anyone within 50 metres of this device would have been killed and anyone within 100 metres, seriously injured."
The alert was raised when the vehicle was spotted abandoned on the Fathom Line road outside Newry on Thursday.
Mr Robinson said the likely target, and the reason for the device being abandoned, were unclear.
But the senior officers said the presence of regular police patrols had forced bombers to abandon devices in the past.
"We were alerted to this vehicle by a vigilant member of the public who noticed this van earlier in the afternoon and again around 4.30pm," he said.
"I would like to thank the public for their support and ask for their continued help. I would appeal to anyone who noticed this Citroen Berlingo van in the area on Thursday or even prior to this to contact us."
Asked about the scale of the threat posed by dissident republican groups, the chief superintendent said: "This is the third attack in the Newry area over the last few weeks however we have dealt with all three of these attacks.
"Officers are out in the community day and night, doing their utmost to ensure that the community is safe and we will continue to do this."
He said police had sealed off the cross border road within 12 minutes of being alerted to the suspicious vehicle.
But while some drivers had inadvertently driven past the bomb, others had continued along the route despite police warnings.
"Many police services would struggle to get an international border road closed in this timeframe," said the senior officer.
"There was some residual traffic following the closures and, while we made the public aware of the road closures and advised them to avoid the area, a few cars ignored our advice.
"We do everything in our power to protect human life."
The van and bomb have now been taken away for further forensic examination.
Ulster Unionist Danny Kennedy, who represents the area and who is also a minister in the Stormont government, said he believed the bomb was part of a plot to kill police.
"Clearly this was an attempt to lure a police patrol into that area, with potentially lethal consequences," he said.
Mr Kennedy said the dissidents were "dangerous and dedicated terrorists, who are determined to cause serious harm, injury and death to members of the security forces regardless of the consequences to local communities".
The Stormont regional development minister said he was very concerned at the increasing number of attacks planned and executed by republican dissidents around the border town of Newry.
Mr Kennedy paid tribute to the army bomb disposal team and the efforts of the police in dealing with the potentially lethal device.
But he said he feared it would be "only a matter of time" before the violent groups would claim the lives of security force personnel.
He appealed for the public to co-operate fully with the police.
Police said overnight that they had discovered two bombs following separate security alerts in Northern Ireland.
In addition to the discovery of the substantial device at the border, detectives found a smaller bomb under a car in the Ballygomartin area of north Belfast, which was also blamed on dissidents.
And in a third overnight security force operation, also in north Belfast, detectives investigating dissident republican activity found a number of guns and ammunition.
The border bomb was found in a white van on Thursday evening. Initial reports said the vehicle's engine was still running, after it had apparently been abandoned.
The subsequent security operation lasted into Friday evening, and the scale of the device has only now emerged.
In Belfast, Chief Inspector Ian Campbell said houses had to be evacuated while the device found in the Ballygomartin area was made safe last night.
He said: "Those responsible for this have shown callous disregard for members of the public.
"The operation resulted in the evacuation of up to 80 people, including families with young children and elderly residents, for several hours."
He added: "The finger of suspicion points towards dissident republican terrorists and I appeal to anyone with information to come forward to police."
After separate police searches elsewhere in north Belfast last night uncovered an unspecified amount of guns and ammunition, the officer responsible for the area, Chief Superintendent George Clarke, said the operation had succeeded in combating activity by dissident groups.
"The actions of police have undoubtedly thwarted the attempts of criminals to inflict death, injury and misery on the community of north Belfast," he said.
"Police are determined to protect communities from these threats."
Mr Clarke appealed for the public's continuing assistance in combating dissident activities.
The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) and Alliance Party condemned the bomb incidents.
Alliance North Belfast representative Billy Webb said: "I am sickened by the people who are out to murder and injure by leaving bombs on our streets. These people are offering nothing to our society.
"I call upon these dissident terrorists to stop their reckless actions. The public does not want this violence on our streets.
"If anybody has any information about these devices then I would urge them to contact the police."
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more