Matthew Tvrdon admits running down and killing mother-of-three Karina Menzies during van hit-and-run rampage in Cardiff
Van driver also admits seven counts of attempted murder
A man today admitted manslaughter, after a hit-and-run rampage last year which left mother-of-three Karina Matthews dead.
Matthew Tvrdon, 32, mowed down parents and young children during a spree in Cardiff last October in which Karina Menzies was knocked down and killed. He pleaded not guilty to her murder yesterday but admitted her manslaughter with diminished responsibility.
Tvrdon appeared via videolink at Cardiff Crown Court from Ashworth high security psychiatric hospital in Maghull, Merseyside.
He also pleaded guilty to seven separate charges of attempted murder, all linked to the hit-and-run spree on 19 October 19 last year.
Dressed in a black top and trousers and wearing glasses, he went on to plead guilty to two counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and two of attempting to cause GBH with intent. He also admitted four counts of actual bodily harm with intent and a single count of dangerous driving.
He was originally charged with one count of murder, 13 counts of attempted murder, four counts of actual bodily harm and one of dangerous driving. The court heard how Tvrdon ran amok behind the wheel of his white Iveco van, careering through the Cardiff areas of Ely and Leckwith at speed. Ms Menzies, 31, was out with two of her three children when she was run down and killed outside Ely fire station.
Thirteen other people were injured in the chaotic scenes surrounding the apparently motiveless attack.
Ian Murphy QC, prosecuting, said he accepted that Tvrdon was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia at the time of the incidents. He added that he would like to consult the victims to gauge what they thought of the guilty pleas.
“There are so many complexities to this case. It is important that those victims who want to be consulted are consulted,” he said.
Tvrdon pleaded not guilty to a number of charges including attempted murder and causing GBH with intent, which are alternatives to some of the offences he admitted.
Judge Mr Justice Wyn Williams adjourned proceedings until 5 June pending the outcome of consultations with the victims.
Mr Murphy said he was still ready to go to trial on that day if the victims and the prosecution were unhappy with the guilty pleas.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Rob Lowe hits out at White House decision not to meet Israeli leader
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness