Matthew Tvrdon appears in court charged with murder after Cardiff hit-and-run rampage leaves mother of three Karina Menzies dead

  • @johnmatthewhall

A 31-year-old man appeared in court today accused of deliberately mowing down pedestrians in a hit-and-run rampage that left mother-of-three Karina Matthews dead.

Matthew Tvrdon is charged with murder, 13 counts of attempted murder, four counts of actual bodily harm and one of dangerous driving.

Unshaven and wearing a black jumper, Tvrdon looked relaxed as he was released from his handcuffs and brought into Cardiff Magistrates' courtroom.

Asked to confirm that he was of no fixed address, Tvrdon replied: “Unfortunately, at the moment I was between moving out.“

Speaking in a soft Cardiff accent, Tvrdon confirmed his date of birth as November 13 1980.

Catrin Evans, prosecuting, said Tvrdon would appear at Newport Crown Court at 10am tomorrow via video-link.

She argued against granting him bail and said there had been “concerns” over his mental health, adding that since his arrest he had been to the Caswell Clinic in Bridgend for psychological assessment.

More than a dozen people were injured during the rampage after the first incident was reported in Crossways Road, Ely, at 3.30pm on Friday.

Two of the injured adults were left in a critical condition and five children also received treatment after the driver of the white van brought bloodshed to the streets of the Welsh capital.

District Judge Bodfan Jenkins remanded Tvrdon in custody until the Newport Crown Court hearing tomorrow.

Tvrdon left court with his head bowed but remained relaxed and seemingly unaffected by his appearance at the brief hearing.

Eight people remain in hospital – four adults and four children.