Men jailed for life for stabbing murder
Thursday 21 October 2010
Two men were jailed for a minimum of 19 years today for stabbing a young father and running over his body.
Michael McCarthy, 19, was walking with his dog to the shops near his home in Yoakley Road, Stoke Newington, north London, in November, last year, when he was attacked.
Mustafa Demirtas stopped his car and approached him while passenger Julian Edwards ambushed Mr McCarthy and stabbed him seven times.
As they drove off, Demirtas drove over the body before fleeing at speed, the Old Bailey was told.
The revenge "assassination" was the latest incident in a feud involving drug dealers in the area.
Demirtas and Edwards, both 21 and of north London, were found guilty of murder.
Judge Peter Thornton jailed them for life with minimum terms of 19 years.
He told them: "In the words of his mother, Michael McCarthy was 'no angel', but he did not deserve to die. He was only 19."
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- < Previous
- Next >